In his current role, he is the Founder and Medical Director of the Brain, Spine, and Pain Institute of Lake Nona in Orlando, Florida, and the Brain Treatment Center of Orlando.
Dr. Mbeo is a member of :
- The American Academy of Neurology (AAN),
- Society for Critical Care Medicine (SCCM),
- Neurocritical Care Society (NCS), and
- Clinical Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Society (CTMSS).
He has published several articles in national and international publications.
Founder and Medical Director
Gilbert Mbeo, MD is a triple board-certified physician who specializes in Neurology, NeuroIntensive Care, and Interventional Pain Management, with over 13 years of experience providing evidence-based, high-quality care to patients with acute neurological needs including acute stroke, neuromuscular respiratory failure, status epilepticus, and brain and spinal cord trauma.
Dr. Mbeo is a Neurointensivist, meaning that not only does he have an in-depth understanding of neurology and neurological conditions, but his expertise is in the care of critically ill neurologic patients with acute brain, spine, and neuromuscular disorders. This specialty is also referred to as neurologic intensive care, critical care neurology, and neurocritical care.
As a Neurointensivist, Dr. Mbeo saw firsthand the life-changing consequences of brain injuries such as head trauma, strokes, and other brain injuries. He was troubled by the fact that, even though with modern medicine we are getting better at saving lives, many patients with brain injury were left with severe disabilities.
His vision was to establish a state-of-the-art facility where cutting-edge interventions would be used to enhance neurological recovery in patients and this is exactly why he founded the Brain, Spine, Pain Institute of Lake Nona in Orlando, Florida.
After learning about the brain healing effects of neuromodulation Dr. Mbeo established the Brain Treatment Center Orlando as an additional treatment department in his clinic in order to use interventions like cognitive rehabilitation, Magnetic Resonance Therapy (MeRT), and transcranial magnetic stimulation as non-invasive treatment options for an array of neurological conditions.
Meet some of our Amazing Team Members.
Highly skilled, caring experts make the highest quality services available to help you heal.
Irene earned her Bachelor of Laws and a Masters in International Law and World Order from the United Kingdom; and subsequent further legal studies at the University of Sydney she was called to the Bar of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in Australia. After a period working with refugee claimants and seeking to protect the interests of clients suffering cognitive disabilities, Irene moved to the United States. Following a decision to temporarily withdraw from the hectic legal world for family reasons, Irene was diagnosed with heart disease causing a massive shift in how she wanted to direct and focus her efforts. Her mission today is to impact the whole person and to bring them to increased levels of health, joy and vitality; something she was pulled to do as a new lawyer and now accomplishes through her administrative role at the Brain, Spine, and Pain Institute of Lake Nona. Irene brings to this role her empathy and enthusiasm; she is able to assist with the day-to-day flow of the clinic and help provide a positive and high-quality experience to our patients.
Quinard Webb, PT, DPT, CBIS
With a Bachelor of Exercise Science from Columbus State University and a Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Alabama State University, Quinard has also had extensive additional training. This includes: Neurological Physical Therapy Residency at James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, Certified Brain Injury Specialist from the Brain Injury Institute of America, and Level 2 Balance and Vestibular Certified from Fyzical Therapy & Balance Centers.
Q has been practicing as a physical therapist since 2014 in various practice settings serving children, aging adults, athletes, active duty, and veterans of our armed forces. He has concentrated his practice in neurologic rehabiltation with special interests in traumatic brain injuries and dizziness/fall prevention. Q’s primary goal is to empower and assist people to reach their mobility, wellness, and fitness goals without dizziness, falls, or pain.
John Paul Ramos
John Paul was born in Puerto Rico, raised in Florida, and after living in NYC for several years and joining the National Guard, he moved back to Orlando.
As a Combat Medic, he obtained his EMT-B certification from the National Registry of EMTs, and has obtained additional certifications in healthcare, including ACLS, BLS, ECG, and soon to be EEG.
He is a lifelong musician, jiu jitsu practitioner, self-described health nut, and BSPI’s Neuro Tech. He is passionate about learning and growing in new ways, and brings professionalism and understanding to his role in our practice. You might catch him singing along with our patients every now and then, too.
You are in good hands with Dr. Mbeo
Triple Board Certified Medical Doctor with 13+ years of healthcare experience in Adult Neurology, Neurocritical Care, and Interventional Pain Management within the inpatient and ambulatory care settings
Neurology: Neurocritical Care, Neurotrauma, Stroke, Inpatient Neurology, Telestroke/Telemedicine,
Interventional Pain Management, International Neurology, Medical Education, Training of Fellows, Residents, Medical Students, & Affiliate Providers
Team Management, Healthcare Quality Improvement, Clinical Protocol Development, Program Creation Research: Neurotrauma, Neuroinfectious Disease, International Neurology, Opioid Sparing Therapies for Chronic Pain
Education, Licensure, Board Certifications
MBChB/Doctor of Medicine, University of Nairobi College of Health Sciences
Board Certified in Adult Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Board Certified in Neurocritical Care, United Council of Neurologic Specialties
Board Certified in Interventional Pain Management, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certification
Medical Licenses for Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Virginia.
American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
Society for Critical Care Medicine (SCCM)
Neurocritical Care Society (NCS)
Clinical Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Society
● Received the UMMC Department of Neurology Golden Reflex Hammer Award for Excellence in Teaching of Medical Students and Residents.
● Received the 2018 Mississippi Organ Recovery Association Spero Physician Champion of the Year Award.
● Received the 2018 UMMC Daisy Award for Provision of Extraordinary Patient Care.
● Received the Drexel University Golden Apple Award for Excellence for teaching medical students/residents.
● Received the Robert J. Schwartzman Outstanding Junior Neurology Resident Award.
● Received the Atlanticare Regional Medical Center Intern of the Year Award.
Founder, Gilbert Mbeo MD LLC, Orlando FL – June 2020- Present
● Founder/Clinical Director of Gilbert Mbeo MD LLC, a Medical Practice focused on providing neurology, brain, pain, and spine care
NeuroIntensivist, AdventHealth Hospital, Orlando FL Apr 2020-Present
● Working as the attending physician in a 40-bed neurointensive care unit within a busy tertiary care hospital
● Led a multidisciplinary neurointensive care unit team made up of Clinical Fellows, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Physical Therapists, Physical and Occupational Therapists, Nutritionists, Case Managers/Social Workers.
● Providing evidence-based, high-quality care to in-patients with acute neurological needs including acute stroke, neuromuscular respiratory failure, status epilepticus, and brain and spinal cord trauma. Perform neurointensive care procedures including central venous catheter placement, arterial catheter placement, endotracheal intubation, lumbar punctures, fiber optic bronchoscopy, percutaneous tracheostomy, percutaneous ultrasound gastrostomy (PUG), and ventilator management.
Assistant Professor of Neurology/Neurocritical Care, University of Mississippi Med. Ctr. Oct 2015-Apr 2020
● Working as the attending physician in a 20+ bed academic neurointensive care unit within a busy tertiary care hospital that is the only academic medical center and Level 1 Trauma Center in the State of Mississippi
● Led a multidisciplinary neurointensive care unit team made up of Clinical Fellows, Residents, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Physical Therapists, Physical and Occupational Therapists, Nutritionists, Case Managers/Social Workers.
● Providing evidence-based, high-quality care to in-patients with acute neurological needs, including acute stroke, neuromuscular respiratory failure, status epilepticus and brain and spinal cord trauma.
● Training and mentoring Neurocritical Care Fellows, Residents and Medical Students on management of patients in the in-patient neurology setting and in the neuro ICU.
Interventional Pain Management Fellow, University of Mississippi Medical Center Aug 2018-Dec 2020
● Trained in pain medicine at a nationally recognized program offering a wide variety of experience in interventional pain, community and tertiary care clinics
● Completed rotations in acute pain management, chronic pain management, spine surgery, neuroradiology, physical medicine, rehabilitation, and palliative care.
● Developed proficiency in interventional pain management procedures including epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, radiofrequency neurotomy, intra-articular injections, sympathetic blocks, intrathecal medication delivery system implantation, kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty, spinal cord stimulator trials and implantation and infusions.
● Developed a protocol for outpatient ketamine infusion therapy for patients with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome as part of a Quality Improvement initiative aimed at improving the quality of care.
Neurocritical Care Fellow, Emory University School of Medicine Jul 2013- Jun 2015
● Trained in neurocritical care within a well-established, high-volume neurocritical care unit based in a tertiary-level academic medical center.
● Completed rotations in the neurocritical care unit, acute stroke service, surgical critical care unit, critical care EEG, interventional pulmonology service, palliative care, airway management/anesthesiology
Adult Neurology Resident, Drexel University College of Medicine Jul 2010- Jun 2015
● Completed rotations in inpatient general neurology, consult neurology, neurointensive care, stroke, pediatric neurology, epilepsy/EEG, neuromuscular/EMG, neuroradiology physical medicine and rehabilitation, and outpatient neurology.
● Appointed Neurology Chief Resident for 2012-2013 by Chairman-Dr Robert J. Schwartzman. Led inpatient neurology and consult neurology service.
● Supervised 16 neurology residents, scheduled resident call and rotation, liaised between faculty and residents, and built relationships between neurology department and other clinical departments.
● Developed the neurology clerkship curriculum for medical students on the neurology rotation.
● Ranked in the 92nd percentile of PGY3s Neurology Residency In-service Training Examination.
Preliminary Internal Medicine Resident, Atlanticare Regional Medical Center Jul 2009- Jun 2010
● Completed rotations in inpatient and ambulatory internal medicine and critical care medicine. Ranked in the 87th percentile among PGY1s nationwide in the Internal Medicine RITE.
Research Program Supervisor, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Jan 2007- Jun 2009
● Coordinated research for the Neuro-HIV Research Group. Managed the research team and the Johns Hopkins University branch of a large multicenter observational cohort study.
● Coordinated a collaborative study between Johns Hopkins University and the National Institutes of Health, “Imaging Microglial Activation Using [11C]PBR21.”
A Video Tour of our Facility
Contact us for more information or to get started.
We’re taking new patients and our New Patient Coordinator is happy to talk with you and give you more information about our services. If you’re ready, she can also get you scheduled for your first steps. We will work with you to utilize any insurance benefits.
For MeRT/TMS and Ketamine Services, Call our New Patient Coordinator: 407-554-9473
Mon-Fri: 9am – 5pm
Lake Nona Clinic
Brain, Spine, Pain Institute of Lake Nona
13563 Narcoossee Rd Suite 110, Orlando, FL 32832